Tuesday 9 February 2021

Individualization

The GDTE has been put together by someone or some group with a generic trained tertiary teacher in mind. Its learning outcomes are not, therefore, tailored. For me to work toward them unquestioningly would not make sense. 

For example, the Learning in a Digital Age module highlights practices about referencing, copyright, and blogging, all of which I have dealt with in the past. There are much better learning outcomes that I should be addressing.

The GDTE course is detailed and prescriptive. Beyond having a limited number of electives to select from, and the choice of doing it over 1 year or 2, it is effectively set in stone. It is text-heavy and left-brain-oriented. I made a deliberate choice almost 50 years not to become immersed in the trivia and minutiae of disconnected facts but rather keep my eye on the bigger picture (right-brain versus left-brain thinking). 

Thus, my image of a trained tertiary teacher is very different from the one that the GDTE seems to assume. I do not have an interest in mainstream academia and am never likely to. Just as Edward de Bono doesn't reference in his books, that is not my habit either.


No comments:

Post a Comment