Friday 12 February 2021

How well does the GDTE match me?

It makes sense that teachers ought to be qualified, and it is sensible that all teaching staff engage in ongoing training. These are sound principles with which I totally agree.

I trained as a secondary school teacher in 1980. I have accumulated four decades of varied teaching experience. I was first employed at Otago Polytechnic in 1997, over twenty years ago. This month (February 2021) I turned 64, a year away from retirement, should I opt for that. Therefore, my being asked to complete the GDTE at this stage of my career strikes me as odd.

At a projected 1200 hours, the full GDTE is no mean undertaking. It represents a huge project, hence my need to weigh it up: Is it worth doing? In terms of credits toward another qualification, I'm not interested. The thing needs to be inherently meaningful to me. If it is, I would do it.

So let me break the bigger question down into three parts. First, is the GDTE worthwhile for me? That is, is it useful and interesting to where I'm at now? Second, will my engaging in the GDTE help my current batch of students? And third, will the GDTE prove worthwhile in the future for both parties?

I require positive answers to all of the above before proceeding. Basically, I'd like to make the GDTE work for me. I'm looking for a way forward, a way to proceed. In short, I'm looking for a fit.


No comments:

Post a Comment